Since I am getting ready for my extended trip for work, I don't have a lot of time to devote to the Bio-Onda controller project. Even worse is that I am having to pack everything away, which is making my wife very happy of course, but me sad. Before I packed everything I did want to do a full dry run, that is to connect the controller to the Ariston RD-11 turntable and see everything turning in beautiful harmony as driven by the controller.
But before I could that, I did need to do a little bit of work on the Ariston's motor. I heard a definite cyclic clicking noise coming from the motor and a bit more motor noise than would be considered normal. Remember I had bought this turntable from a guy on a local internet classified, I have not done and servicing or reconditioning of the table yet. Suffice it to say for the moment that I did put some time into caring for the motor, after all it has a good 30 or more years of service under it's belt, definitely time for a little TLC! I will not describe what I did with the motor in this posting, I will reserve that for another post later on. I did get the motor working fine, much quieter. So stay tuned for that info at a later date.
I did remount the motor and put the turntable together with the Bi-Onda controller driving the motor fully. It worked great, sped the platter up no problem, spun nicely. I tried out the 33.3 rpm and 45 rpm, the acceleration of the motor/platter looked good with the 'basic' values I had programmed before. Speed was good. I was especially curious to see how it ran at 45 rpm and was very happy with that. I did notice that the speed, as per my default setting was a bit slow, but increasing the sine frequency by about 0.3 Hz brought it nicely up to 45 rpm, on the nose. Me happy. I did not spin any vinyl though, the table mounts an SME 3009 Improved and I have not set it up yet. A full turntable reconditioning is slated for this unit, hope to make that into another series.